Monday 24 February 2014

North Road Hardriders

So first ride of the year is DONE. It involved vomiting, crying, a very homemade TT bike, an excellent pointy helmet so can only be qualified as a GREAT SUCCESS.

The race in question was a 25 mile time trial in Hertfordshire, best described as "sporting" (i.e. hilly) or "fucking horrific" if your name is Anna Railton and you are ROWER SIZED with a catastrophic lack of climbing ability.

Two hours the day before cleaning up the "TT bike" - i.e. this bike with a different cockpit and wheels on it (and different groupset come to think of it) and shovelling it in the car with Wojciech's bike for company and we were READY. Getting up at rower o'clock again (i.e. 0530) was a bit of a shock to the system but a couple of coffees (and a coke in the car, then caffeinated energy gels ha) sorted that right out.

Matured over the winter in a cellar (much like tubular tyres).

Number pinned on (getting marginally better at pinning numbers on skinsuit before putting it on but naturally it still needed redoing as I am still largely incompetant at this key cyclist skill) ,CHECK. Courage legs dug out the box and securely attached, CHECK. An all too short warm up done and I was at the start waiting for my time to go off. I was amused to see that my resting heart rate on the start was a mere 150bpm. I guess the three energy gels thrown down my throat pre race were working then! Let's get this show on the road!

[Man holds me up].

[Man with clip board and stopwatch starts the countdown]

20s.

(155bpm)

10s.

(160bpm, start Garmin).

5.

4.

3.

..

2.

SHIT SHIT SHIT FUCK THIS IS GOING TO HURT SHIT

1.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

You'd better make cleaning your chain and cassette for an hour worth it, Railton. 

I didn't fall off, or start in the wrong gear so start was successful at least. A fast drag downwards then the climbing began. All thoughts about being in the big ring for the whole time trial were quickly shelved!

Three miles in and I'm swallowing vomit. Brilliant. Good one Railton. Guess you should've only had two gels, ejit.

With thanks to the esteemed Davey Jones of Cambridge CC for this excellent shot! As you can see, I am about as aerodynamic as a house brick and still have rower shoulders to force through the air :)

Four miles and I glimpse my minute-woman (i.e. the woman who went off a minute in front of me). Number 73, YOUR ASS IS MINE. I AM GOING TO HUNT YOU DOWN.

HUNT HUNT HUNT.

I see the luminous yellow number on the climbs, getting steadily closer. YOU ARE MINE.

HUNT HUNT. 

Cadence? 95rpm. Good. Heart rate? Ermmmm yes. It's fine you are TOTALLY not going to die doing that for over an hour, it's fine. HONEST.

HUNT. 

I pull myself a little further into the time trial bars. Stick a few more watts down. You can totally do this Railton. This is GOOD.

HUNT HUNT.

Another climb that feels like a brick wall. Small ring. More pressure on the pedals. Keep the power on over the crest of the hill MUST CONSERVE MOMENTUM. MUST REMAIN AERO AT ALL COSTS. MUST BE FAST.

6 miles. Casually pass #73. Try to look cool while snot pouring out of nose all over face. Effortless cool. I like it.

Bracing the core, must keep still in the saddle and smoooooth. Must be FASTER.

Oh shit is that a horse? YEP DEFINITELY A HORSE. NOT SLOWING DOWN FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.



OK, horse passed and 100% no death. Good. 8 miles in. That's like a third! Woo! GO RAILTON.

[SHIT 16 MILES TO GO* D: D: D: D: D:]

* Course was shorted to 24 miles due to road work. This pleased me as 24 has more factors than 25 allowing for more "oh you are X% through the TT calculations to keep my mind off the pain and my looming death.

IS THAT ANOTHER RIDER AHEAD? *cue evil laughing*

...

[Memory fails me, not sure what happens 8-19 miles. It was probably painful.]

...

Some sort of blur of lactic acid and lung burn passes and I see the 5 miles to go sign. Thank FUCK for that.

Of course, this last five miles is into a headwind, naturally. SLOG SLOG.

Four miles to go.

SLOG SLOG KEEP THOSE FUCKING PEDALS TURNING SMOOTHLY, RAILTON.

Three miles to go. I ride into what feels like the side of a cliff. OH GOD THERE'S A MASSIVE HILL FUCK MY LIFE.

Photo credit Ian Lambert of North Road CC (??). I have quite a strangely small head. 

Hill is longer than a minute. This is BAD. I am already very deep into the pain cave and the door has been sealed long ago. The only way is deeper, darker.

I start to click up the cassette. Into the small ring. Into smaller gears and still it continues.

People are cheering at the side of the road, shouting "dig deep!" at me. I want to shout at them "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK I'M DOING!?!?!?" but there was no spare oxygen for such fripperies. I needed all the oxygen I could get to remain actually alive and travelling up this BASTARD FUCKING ENDLESS HILL.


WHY WILL THIS NOT END.

WHO THE FUCK DESIGNED THIS COURSE.

I HATE THEM.

Mercifully, the hill did actually end, as geography usually dictates. An age seemingly passes before the "2 miles to finish" but by this time my soul has long since dropped out my arse and I am blinking back tears. There is no natural light in the pain cave any more. Not even a flickering bulb hanging from the roof. It is all black. I bump into a black cat painted black wearing a black hat. Heavy metal is playing I think. WHERE IS OXYGEN? IS THAT A BAT?!?

 I push on.

One mile to go. Another small hill. Instantly small ring, grinding up it. There is no souplesse, no thought of form any more. This just needs to end, soon.

A group of cyclists out for a Sunday pootle. I go wide to pass them and see the finish board. I aim myself at it.

200m.
150m.

END THIS.

100m.
50m.

I throw my bike towards the line (which is just kind of pointless and very ineffective in time trial bars but habits from the track die hard) and it is over. I push the 'Stop' button on my Garmin, nearly crashing in the process and there it is. That was what I, Anna Railton, can produce for 24 miles up and down some hills.

I ride back to the car at walking pace, sort of quietly pleased with myself because I was totally fucked, which was precisely of the object of the exercise.

"I should do this again next year, it was fun" I thought to myself, coughing up bits of lung.

I shove a banana down my face when back at the car then put on all the clothes I own. I contort to take my number off my back under all these new clothes. I am intelligent.

I cycle the 150m to the HQ (because fuck me am I walking anywhere at this point), abandon my bike next to a wheelie bin, crawl up the stairs and attempt to swap said number for a cup of coffee.

"Black or white?"

*blinks at nice lady manning the tea and coffee*

"Would you like black or white coffee?"

*blinks again*

"ERMMMMMMMMM" I don't understand this question what is going on.

*random pointing*

*I receive white coffee* (This is fortunate as I don't actually like black coffee).

"ERMMMMM thanks?" Is that the right word for this situation?

I glance at the time board, note that Lucy "The Goss" Gossage has smashed everyone. Then I sort of do the "controlled falling" method of getting down the stairs, spill coffee on my fleece and retrieve my bike from next to the bins. Somehow I manage to drink the coffee while cycling. I head out on the road again to try and get some of this 24 miles of hell out my legs before I need to drive home.

A few miles of walking pace cycling down the road and I meet The Goss, out for a run. There I am, totally shafted, and Lucy has just turned it into a brick session.



OH.

MY.

GOD.

WHAT THE HELL.

STOP MAKING ME LOOK BAD.

What can I say, professional Iron Man athletes are ... well, a bit mental. In a good way, naturally. I informed her she won and went on my way, probably cycling a damn site slower than she was running. I reminded myself never to take up Iron Man.

I eventually made it back to the HQ and saw to my (quite considerable surprise) that I managed to be the third fastest woman so I was £40 richer! HURRAH!

And thus the 2014 season began. And it was good. Two weeks time = Belgium!

(Also, many thanks to North Road CC for such a great event, too - I *will* be back next year!)

23 comments:

  1. Heroic! Well done. Impressed Ben is impressed.
    Much cycle. Very pain. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant write up! What was your time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1h11m40s, so not fast at all! I don't think I've ever put in so much effort to average 20mph before! Also fucknig MILES off 1st and 2nd but _shrugs_ they are both better cyclists than me!

      Delete
  3. Good luck in Belgium. Don't enjoy too much of their beer (at least not until after racing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good job I don't like beer (or mayonnaise) :D

      Delete
  4. Well done Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great write-up! Keep TTing, and writing about it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahahahaa! Congratulations! Nice article too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent blog, really enjoyed that. I am from North Road so know the course, it is a brute. PS - Why have you got a moustache?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moustache is famous :) Not really sure why Catlike chose to put it on there, but I'm not going to take it off!

      Delete
  8. Well done.
    Saw this today and thought of you - can't think why...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26416153
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Hey! I'm totally not that ragey any more :)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! I thought you'd think it was funny!

      Delete
    2. Ah, sorry! Your comment was EXACTLY the same format as all spam comments ever, so I just deleted it out of habit. Put the link in a comment again!

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. HA! I had just left a comment saying "Bummer, can't find it but it was blah blah blah blah blah" and then I found it again -

      click here

      It did actually cross my mind that my comment looked a little spammy...should've added something like "Hello, NYC boat blogger here, found you through Tillerman's blog", but I think I was commenting at work and I always hurry when I do that.

      Next time!

      Delete
    6. Hahahaha, I just the whole string of those in my email :) Silly David Millar! (I have definitely thrown my winter bike into a hedge when it got a third puncture on a ride)

      Delete
  10. Awesome post and congrats on your race! I snorted laughter a number of times - can totally understand how you felt when you saw The Goss out for a run after... it's humbling LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could barely move after that race. How you could even think that going for a run after that would be fun... Mental!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.